Population is a complicated topic. There will soon be seven billion people on the planet. By 2045 global population is projected to reach nine billion. Can the planet take the strain? With the worldwide population slated to top 7 billion in 2011, National Geographic magazine kicked off a year-long series of articles related to humanity’s remarkable growth spurt, with the first story focusing on the consequences of hitting 7 billion humans later this year and the basics of demography.
- Are there too many people on the planet?
- Are we in the “age of man?”
- Whathappens when our oceans become acidic?
- How will we cope with changing climate?
- Can we feed seven billion of us?
- Whatinfluences women to have fewer children?
- Is there enough for everyone?
- Are cities the cure for our growing pains?
Here is a video introduction to the series:
Read all the articles on NationalGeographic.com.